Saturday, July 26, 2008

Losing My Religion

It's like a Jesus Christ version of Romeo and Juliet. Two people, disallowed to date because one set of parents won't let their child date someone outside of their religion.
Does faith take priority over love?

People have beliefs. In these beliefs, they find solice. I'm no atheist, I belive in God. I am a Christian. But I am not strictly religious. Some parents are strictly religious, and follow whatever their religion is right down to every punctuation mark in whatever Bible or Torah they may have. But what if this religion says no to dating outside of religion? That's a sticky situation.
First of all, it depends on the parents. Are they very religious? Are they willing to let their child date outside of their religion, regardless of what their faith tells them to do? If yes, then you're all set. If not... that's when there's trouble.
There is no way out of this mess. I am not one to encourage sneaking around behind parents' backs, because, a) it's dishonest, and b) chances are, you'll get caught. I'm no saint. I'm sure as hell not honest half the time, but I don't want to tell people to lie to their parents.
So my answer to you is this:
If your lover's parents will not let them date you because you are outside of their religion, then there's always conversion. However, if it defies your beliefs, then... wait. If your love is true, it will wait. Don't remain dateless until you're legally adults and can see each other. But if your love is meant to be, then it will last until adulthood, when your lover is allowed to date whomever s/he wants.
Don't limit yourself to that one person, but don't give up hope entirely.

~J*~

Got questions?
thesearetheyears@gmail.com

No comments: