Sunday, July 20, 2008

Life After Break-ups?

It's so awkward. When someone breaks up with you, and you keep seeing them everywhere. Not the "just in your head," seeing them, but literally bumping into them wherever you go. But is it possible to go on as friends after you've broken up?

A case of Breakup-phobia has recently been brought to my attention. The reason person A doesn't want to break up with person B is because everyone in person A's group of friends is also person B's friends, and person A doesn't want things to get "awkward."
This frustrates me to no end. The only reason you should not be friends with your ex is if they are total assholes. If you broke up on decent terms, then why just not talk to each other? Hell, if you broke up on not-so-decent terms, it doesn't mean you're never allowed to talk to your ex again.
So why are we compelled to stay away from the ones we've recently ended things with?
I understand a week or so of away time to manage hurt feelings and whatnot, but months and months of not talking to someone just because you're no longer a couple? That's a little extreme, don't you think?
This happened to me going on two years ago. I got broken up with, and my ex didnt' talk to me for eight months or so. I didn't really understand; was it so hard to talk to me? I mean, they never gave me a reason... didn't I at least deserve that?
Of course, things got patched up eventually, but the point is, I was avoided for eight months. I was heartbroken for a good majority of those months. What is so hard about talking to your ex again?
I get the "awkward" factor. But a week or so should be enough to get over that, one would think.
My point is, don't cut someone out just because you've broken up with them. There is a such thing as being "just friends," you know.

~J*~

Got questions?
thesearetheyears@gmail.com

No comments: