Sunday, August 31, 2008

Interfriendshipness.

We all have a friend our other friends don't like. Maybe just one person doesn't like them, or maybe all of your friends don't like them. Should that really affect your friendship with this disliked person?

Recently, I had a beef with one of my very good friends. Everything is okay now, but I thought I'd use this as an example, because it's not unheard of. But first, let me backtrack.

Over a year ago, I met a girl named Caitie. She and I became very good friends. Then the fights started, and then she'd instant message me a couple months later saying she's sorry... This happened at least three times. Well the very last time she did this, she told me "Don't talk about so-and-so and Person XYZ because I'll get angry." Who thinks that's fair? Show of hands? I realize people don't like hearing about people they don't care for, but this is just totally ridiculous and unfair.

Fast-forward to August 30, 2008. My best friend has a problem with another close friend of mine that I have fought with a lot lately. I mentioned the latter person today, and Best Friend made a rude remark, and I lost it. I understand people don't like other people for whatever reason, but this person that Best Friend doesn't like is a good friend of mine; I'm not going to just stop talking about her. That's totally unfair.
If someone doesn't like one of your friends, what does it matter? It's none of their business who you're friends with, and if you decide to talk about them briefely or at length, it doesn't matter. It's your friendship; not theirs. So what if your friend doesn't like another one of your friends? That shouldn't affect your friendships. Any of them.

Make sense?

~J*~

Got questions?
thesearetheyears@gmail.com

No comments: